Hong Kong

Entry allowed but some restrictions may apply. Entry ban for visitors arriving from certain areas. Test required.
Quarantine required. Find more details on official websites.

Pre-entry clearance formTravelers might be required to fill out the pre-travel clearance form. Fill the form on official website.

While the information on this website is updated on a regular basis, no warranty is made that the information is comprehensive and correct. EntryAdvise.com expressly disclaims all liability for any damages resulting from the reliance on any information included within this website.

What is the COVID situation in Hong Kong?

+190 New COVID cases in Hong Kong
0 New COVID deaths in Hong Kong
83.31% Fully vaccinated

Data source: Our World In Data / Data updated on May 23, 2022

Data last reviewed on: 15 October 2021

Basic facts about Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a country located in Eastern Asia. The capital of Hong Kong is City of Victoria and the most spoken language is English. The national currency in Hong Kong is Hong Kong dollar (HKD).

What taxi apps are available in Hong Kong?

If you are not a local, you may have difficulty making the best use of public transportation. Using a taxi app such as Uber or Bolt is unquestionably a better method to go about cities without getting into too much touch with strangers. There may be also other local taxi apps available in Hong Kong.

Uber is available only in one city: Hong Kong. Bolt is not available in Hong Kong.

See the full list of cities where Uber operate.

Practical information

Hong Kong dollar (HKD)Official currency
1 EUR~8.3 HKD
1 USD~7.85 HKD

Check with your bank to determine if there are any costs for international transactions. When you use a foreign ATM, your home bank will typically charge you a fee. While some banks don't charge a fee, some charge a fixed fees for every withdrawal or provide a limited amount of free withdrawals.

When you spend money abroad with your card, you're unlikely to get the interbank exchange rate. This implies that each time you spend in a foreign currency, you may be paying a significant fee. Varying service providers may charge different markups, but they should not exceed 3% of the transaction value on average.

To reduce the transaction costs, you may choose to consider one of the travel cards offered by the following mobile banks: Wise.com, Revolut, N26 or Monose

What socket types are used in Hong Kong?

There are 2 common plug types used in Hong Kong:

Type D 220 V, 50 Hz  Type G 220 V, 50 Hz

The sockets' shapes and voltage differ from country to country and a travel plug adapter may be required. Portable devices, such as phones, notebooks or tablets, usually handle the entire range of voltages used across the world (110-240V).

What countries need visa to enter Hong Kong?

Currently, citizens of 148 countries can enter Hong Kong without obtaining a visa. This figure includes nationals who can acquire a visa on arrival.

What are visa requirements to enter Hong Kong?

Use the list below to check visa requirements for your country to enter Hong Kong.

Data last reviewed on: 15 October 2021

Is it safe in Hong Kong?

The U.S. State Department uses a four-level travel advisory system. The levels show how safe it is to travel throughout the world. The countries with the lowest level (1) are considered safe for visitors, while those with the greatest level (4) should be avoided, at least temporarily.

On April 25, 2022, the risk level for Hong Kong was changed to Level 4: Do Not Travel.

Emergency phones in Hong Kong

999 Police
999 Ambulance
999 Fire police

How much tobacco and alcohol can you bring to Hong Kong?

The products are only for your own use or consumption, or as a present for members of your household. They may not be imported for commercial purposes under any circumstances.


  • 1L of alcoholic drink with an alcoholic strength above 30% by volume


  • 19 cigarettes or 1 cigar or 25 grams of cigars or 25 grams of other manufactured tobacco

Data last reviewed on: 15 October 2021

Check travel information also for neighbor countries of Hong Kong:

Go Up